Thursday, December 31, 2015

Invite Yourself to Eat Healthy Foods

In anticipation of holiday treat platters inviting me to sample sugary treats all week, I decided to build a small perimeter of defense.  I spent a bit of time last Sunday evening chopping vegetables, lettuce, spinach and kale to assemble some stacked salad combos to have ready for lunches all week.  The hard-cooked eggs, garbanzo and black beans were ready to add protein to the salads to sustain us through the day.  It had been more than year since I spent a Sunday evening chopping and preparing salads for lunches.  I think at one point, I had a salad for lunch most every work day for six months.  Isn’t it strange how a disruption can throw you off of a good habit?  A year or so ago, I was preparing the salads in wide-mouth quart jars.  They looked so pretty lined up in my refrigerator.  Last week, I put the salads in glass bowls instead.  Since I layer the salads, they are not as easy to eat from a jar.  The salad fixings mix better while I’m eating them from a bowl.  I suppose I could use plastic storage containers, but somehow the opaque plastic hides all the inviting colors of the tomatoes, carrots, broccoli and beans.  It seems if the food is prepared, easily accessible and visible, it gets eaten.  I suppose knowing that simple fact is half the battle in daily health habits.

It is surprising how we unwittingly invite ourselves to make food choices.  It is no surprise that the plate of chocolate fudge, peanut butter balls, caramels and cookies that is on a glass platter sitting on the counter invites us to nibble and nosh, even when we didn’t mean to do so.  I may have just gone to the kitchen for a glass of water, but if that goodies selection is sitting there staring at me, it is unlikely that I will leave the kitchen with just my glass of water.  The good news is that we can learn to make healthier foods just as inviting.  Have you ever done a household food andnutrition assessment

Instead of coming home from the market and putting the produce in the vegetable drawer, prepare it in ready-to-eat packaging.  A bag of carrots can sit in the back of the vegetable drawer for a long time without anyone being “invited” to eat them, but, get them out and peel them, chop them and put them in a glass container in the front of the refrigerator and they’ll invite every person who opens the refrigerator to consider the carrots as their next snack.   There are many consumer and food psychology principles we can put to work for us.  One of my favorite consumer psychologists is Dr. Brian Wansink.  A quick web sear


ch will reveal many videos as well as a list of books he has authored.  Dr. Wansink is famous for the discreet food invitation.  From school cafeterias to business lunches, he purposefully revamps food service opportunities as part of his research.  He has spent considerable time discovering the subtle changes in where foods are placed, how they are served, what containers we use and how it all comes together to suggest and influence our choices – healthy or unhealthy.  In one school cafeteria makeover, placing fruit at the front of the line in an attractive bowl dramatically increased fruit consumption.
 

Store nutritious foods where they are easier to access than less nutritious foods.  It is easier to keep on a healthy track if the healthy choice is the easy choice.  I invite you to think about your own food and nutrition environment and how you can invite yourself to make healthy choices.  

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete