Sunday, December 27, 2015

That Invitation Keeps Ringing

My head finally got to the pillow at one o’clock this morning, so when I shut my alarm off just a few hours later at 5:45 a.m., it was hard to remember that I set it as an “invitation” to my morning exercise routine.  The alarm is just one part of an invitation to exercise. I also have my shoes and exercise clothes set out, making them easy to grab in the morning.  I usually have a device ready with an audio book to listen to or an old TV series to stream while I start my day on the elliptical. 
There are several strategies to use when “inviting” yourself to exercise.  One of the classes I taught, 4-Health (which was for parents of teens and preteens who were trying to establish healthy households) suggested doing an “activity inventory” of the home.  The inventory or checklist asked families to go room by room in their homes to see if equipment that would encourage activity was available and easily accessible.  Having supplies and equipment ready to use makes a considerable difference in the items getting used.  Families were encouraged to make sure that balls, jump ropes, bikes, skates, sleds, etc. were easy to find and use.  That list of “exercise equipment” makes me think that exercise sounds a whole lot like play. Sometimes it is easier to answer an invitation to play than to exercise. 

Families in the 4-Health class were encouraged to take breaks from sedentary periods for active play. For instance, if watching TV, get up and do a jump rope challenge during the commercials.  For commercial-free sedentary activities, a timer can be used as a reminder or invitation to get up and move.  Families were able to set up simple and fun activity challenges, such as obstacle and relay courses.  One group had a bucket at the bottom of their stairs that they threw ping-pong balls into and when they missed, they ran down the stairs and back up for another try.  Another group designed a foam ball and somersault activity in their hallway.  Sometimes all it takes to be active is a little creativity and an invitation.

Of course, like play, exercise is often more fun with more than one person.  Another common way to incorporate motion into your day is to make it social.  Invite a friend to join you.  You are less likely to talk yourself out of exercising, if you know someone has arranged their schedule to join you. 

Take a look around your home to see if you can find any “invitations” to be active.  If not, it is time to start delivering some invitations.  Put a basket of hand or ankle weights by your favorite chair, set out your exercise clothes and set your alarm, even if it is for a mid-afternoon stroll.  I think I’ll start working on inviting myself to put my head on my pillow a little earlier, because a good night’s sleep makes it much easier to accept the invitation to get out of bed and exercise.


No comments:

Post a Comment