Friday, February 10, 2017

Strong People


Teton County, MT, January 5, 2017– As the morning alarm went off and I got my exercise clothes on, I was thinking about the day, not just the one ahead, but the same date thirteen years ago.  It was cold, like it has been the first week of January this year. I grabbed my tennis shoes and went to wake up my youngest daughter so she could get ready for her morning sports practice.  Thirteen years ago we weren’t taking anyone to sports practice on January 5.  We were headed to Chester for a medical appointment.  As I recall, I got a workout that day, too!  It lasted a little longer than my jog on the elliptical did this morning, but by that evening we were able to call friends and family to let them know that a healthy baby girl had arrived to join our family.
Not all workouts have such an immediate and tangible result as childbirth, but my two daughters have provided some of the motivation I need to continue exercising regularly.  One of my favorite exercise programs is the Strong People strength training program I have been teaching through MSU Extension in Teton County since 2008.  We currently have a class running from noon-1:00 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Choteau City Hall.  The free class is open to the public and will run from January 5 to February 9.  If you are interested, please call our office at 466-2492 or stop by Choteau City Hall on Tuesday or Thursday at noon to see the class and pick up a registration packet.  
The strength training exercises we use are ones that Dr. Miriam Nelson of Tufts University has been researching for years.  She has found strength training to nearly provide people with a “reverse aging” opportunity.  The exercises are simple and uncomplicated, but they are not easy.  Each participant can progress at his or her own rate by starting with no weights and working up to 20-pound free weights on each of the exercises.  Additional repetitions can be added or they can be done more slowly to make the strength exercises more challenging.  Participants mention immediate benefits from the exercises, including increased stamina and energy.  Past participants have had goals to travel with the younger generation of family members on a trip and the need to be able to walk and hike.  Several participants have remarked how much easier flights of stairs are or how easy it is to get out of chairs.  One even mentioned it improved his golf game markedly.  
For me, a big part of my motivation to exercise is my family.  I want to have the energy and strength to be a full and active participant in their lives now, and for many years to come. Perhaps you have some of your own motivations and reasons why you want to exercise.   I think exercising regularly can be the formula for staying as young as possible.  Not that I mind getting old.  I think that should be the goal, but it should also be the goal to be healthy and fit while we age.  People have often looked for the fountain of youth, but I’m pretty sure the fountain of youth requires sweat pouring out daily!  For me, I plan to keep exercising to combat the effects of now having two teenage daughters!  Whatever your motivation or inspiration, I invite you to join us for the Strong People class.

No comments:

Post a Comment