Wednesday, March 11, 2015

What Devices Help You?

During a state-wide Extension training that our office coordinated and hosted, I commented to the group how much I rely on certain features on my cell phone.  Whenever we took a break, I simply set the timer on my phone and when the alarm sounded, we knew it was time to reconvene.  My phone is only one of many devices I rely on daily to make my life easier.  The same day as our conference, I was scheduled to present a portion of a webinar on “aging in place” and “assistive devices” and it left me thinking about all the devices available to us to make life easier. 

For many of us, the devices help us compensate for a changing ability.  I believe my most important assistive device I use daily are my contacts or glasses.  Sometimes I think about the pioneers who might not have had access to proper eye exams and equipment.  I can only imagine how my uncorrected eye-sight might have directly related to my survival ability.  It is safe to say that any wild game more than three feet away would have been safe from becoming part of my meal!  I’d have had a solely plant-based diet, because at least I could get close enough to see the garden. 
                                                                                                                                                  
In 2012, MonTech and the University ofMontana Rural Institute Center for Excellence in Disability Education, Researchand Service teamed up with MSU Extension to share the message about assistive devices for a variety of abilities and changing capacities.  I thought, over the next few weeks, I’d highlight a few devices that may be of use to you or someone you know.

One of the pretty cool devices is called a PenFriend.  This device is similar in size to a small flashlight.  The pen comes with several stickers.  Following the simple instructions, the pen and stickers can be programmed to “talk” to each other and the user.  For instance, for a person with low-vision, the stickers can be placed on prescription bottles and programmed.  When the user hovers the pen over the sticker, the pen talks.  I programmed one sticker to have information on a type of medication and dosage/time instructions.  It took about 20 seconds.  After seeing the pen demonstrated, a friend bought the pen for her mother who deals with low-vision.  She programmed the stickers around her mother’s house.  Her vision limits her ability to see words on dials and controls of household equipment, but with the pen friend she can “hear” the settings on her dishwasher, washing machine and dryer, and oven range.  Watch a video demonstration.


There are a huge variety of devices available for people with varying levels of vision, but also for a wide variety of needs.  From talking clocks to sock-pullers, there are a variety of devices to assist people with a variety of needs.  For more details, please contact the MSU Extension Office in Teton County.  

No comments:

Post a Comment