Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The Bendable Straw and more!

Last week, I unexpectedly spent the night in the hospital with a family member who had surgery.  Generally, I keep an extra pair of contacts in my purse or work bag, but on this surprise slumber party, I found I was without both contacts and glasses.  I had just recently mentioned how much I rely on my contacts as an assistive item for my changing vision.  As I prepared for bed, I decided to throw away my daily disposable contacts, thereby giving me a chance to see (or in this case, not see) what is was like to function with my uncorrected vision.  Guess what? When I cannot see, I cannot hear, either!  The poor nurses and doctors who came in, had to stand within a few feet of me, so I could see and hear them.  I bet they were wishing I’d had both my glasses and my mouthwash with me. 

Book with many ideas for adaptations.
While we spent some time in the hospital, I was reminded of one of my favorite assistive products from my youth – the bendable straw.  My Grandma Inez struggled with mobility due to very debilitating arthritis.  When I was a young girl, I’d help out by dispensing her medication.  The bendable straw was so important for Grandma.  It certainly helped keep her from taking an accidental shower every time she needed to swallow a pill. 

There are so many adaptive devices out there, as simple as a bendable straw or as complicated as motion detectors for remote caregivers, monitoring daily activities such as eating and movement.  Many adaptive devices can be fashioned with common items – good old duct tape and baling twine – to make life easier.  I read the book, Double Take, by Kevin Connolly from Helena who was born without legs.  His dad MacGyvered all kinds of adaptive devices for him, including a skateboard, which the author used to get around.  At our office, we have a bookfull of assistive devices that can be made from common objects and used for a wide range of adaptations. 

A few key chapters in the book review switch making and modifications and building spring loaded switches, fasteners and custom grips.  The modifications given have great instructions and colorful pictures.  Some range from simple – adding a self-adhesive rubber bumper to on/off switches on items like electronic toothbrushes for those with dexterity challenges to adaptations for farmers with spinal cord injuries.  The ideas and adaptations that can mostly be created at home are fascinating. 

Sock Puller
I think many of the devices we have today were a result of somebody figuring out how to mass market a good idea.  For instance, a sock puller is a tool that can be used for people with limited flexibility, range or motion.  To use the device, socks are slide onto a cylindrical device and then, using rope handles, the foot is slid into the cylinder and subsequently the sock.  Another device available is a weighted spoon.  For people with tremors in their hands (perhaps from Parkinson’s or other diseases), the weighted spoon can change a person’s ability to feed themselves.  The weight somehow changes messages in the body and brain to reduce tremors.  Imagine if you had lost your ability to feed yourself and suddenly got it back because of something so simple.


To see the many other assistive devices available, stop by the Extension Office.  Just remember to call first, to make sure I have my contacts in, otherwise I might not be able to hear you. 






No comments:

Post a Comment