Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Scrooge Goes $hopping!

 We are getting pretty close to the last minute for holiday shopping.  You’ve probably already sensed that I don’t like the pressure of gift-giving by a certain date or out of obligation.  And, I suppose, to be honest, it stresses me out to shop.  If you like shopping and selecting and wrapping gifts and it brings you joy, I am not here to discourage you.  You make up for people like me! A friend just described a 13-hour shopping excursion with such a beaming face,  that I wouldn’t want to take that away from anyone who enjoyed it so much.  Some people are very gifted at gift-giving.  Maybe I can be, too, when I’m not up against deadlines. 

Cranky at Christmas time?
One of the biggest shopping days of the year is December 26.  I wonder what that says about us.  I’m a little afraid it means we didn’t get what we wanted (or in the right size or color) and we are returning gifts. Consequently, I get discouraged about spending my time shopping to give a gift that someone else has to take the time to go “unshop” (otherwise known as returning or exchanging).  Why not save the time and let them buy their own gift in the first place? Apparently I am not alone in this thinking, as evidenced by the huge gift card industry.

As we get down to the wire, many people are tempted to give a gift card.  They cost very little to ship and many can be sent electronically.  According to the National Retail Federation, gift cards are the most requested gift item for the holidays for the eighth year in a row.  But, get ready, because I’m about to Grinch the gift cards, too.  For one thing, most gift cards are for a specific store, which ties the recipient to an item only from that store.  Frequently, the amount on the gift card and the amount of the purchase are different, which means that recipients either have to shell out extra cash from their own pocket (the gift that costs) or they leave a small balance on the card to be under the value, meaning you just gave less than you intended.  Of course, a few dollars isn’t a big deal, but added together it is a big deal.  One company, in 2011, reported $53 million in income from “breakage” or the amount paid for on cards unlikely to be redeemed.  A recent report said that in total Americans leave more than one Billion dollars on cards each year.  So, I guess, if you want to give a gift to a big business, go ahead.  But, if you are more interested in giving a gift that helps your niece or nephew, you may want to rethink the gift card.  Plus, I haven’t even touched on fees – initial fee, dormancy fee, usage and replacement fees.  If giving a gift card, read the fine print.

I would say, “go green” and just give cash, but I have some personal experience that leads me to advise you to write a check instead.  In addition to being safer to put through the post, a check can be re-issued if it is lost in the holiday havoc.  My husband recalls a memorable Christmas with his family one year.  Part way through Christmas Day someone went to find a few of their gifts and they were nowhere to be found, which started several of them looking.  It became a frantic finding festival with nothing found and then there was a flicker of memory from the night before.  Could it be that when the gift wrap was bundled up and taken to the garbage, the gifts (including cash gifts) had all gone to the trash, too?  Sure enough.  Unfortunately, the garbage in those days was disposed of in a burn barrel … that had been lit.  There were charred remains, evidence of the gifts (and cash) that went up in flames. On the bright side, while not funny at the time, it has become a fun holiday memory.

For many, the idea of giving money isn’t very exciting and may make you spend more than you otherwise would have, so the amount doesn’t look inadequate. For years, I avoided giving money because I could often find a “deal” that made it look like I spent more than I had.  Then I realized, that I probably wasn’t saving anything, or fooling anyone.  If the receiver returned the item, they would know what I spent anyway.  Plus, the extra impulse purchases made while shopping probably more than made up any difference between the “perceived” savings and the dollar amount I’d spend in a check.  I know that giving money doesn’t exude a ton of sentiment, and maybe I’m too practical.  Or boring, or a Scrooge.  Or maybe it is that I just have really good memories of getting money as gifts. 

Find Your Joy!
Photo by Greg Miller Photography
Grandma and Grandpa believed that “green” was everyone’s favorite color. It was pretty hard for my Grandma to get around.  She didn’t drive and was pretty much house-bound, as she had mobility impairments.  For her, shopping either meant a catalogue or waiting until Grandpa wanted to make the annual to the shopping mall in Havre.  Thus, they gave cash.  They were generous people, so it wasn’t anticlimactic.  Actually, we looked forward to the money each year.  In high school, most of their gift went to clothes that I would not otherwise have purchased.  In college, it often went for books for classes, so it helped me with my education.  A pretty important gift, I’d say.  Somewhere along the way, I started setting aside a portion to buy a keepsake -- a silver hair clip, a sapphire ring, a pretty necklace. 

If you love shopping and gift-giving, go ahead and knock yourself out.  But, if it usurps your joy, unburden yourself of the obligation.  So as much as one friend glowed while talking of shopping, another one had an expression of relief when she said she was going to give money this year instead or shopping this year.  We all have our own situations, stressors and strengths.  I just want to give you permission to fully embrace yours, whatever it is. 

Because when it comes to gifts, it isn’t really an object or money that matters – it is the gift YOU are to others that carries the most importance.  It has been said that there is no present like time.  What I cherish about my grandparents now is the time they gave me.  The lessons they taught.  The love they shared.  The greatest gifts my grandparents ever gave me I carry with me every day wrapped beautifully in memories in my heart. 

With MSU Extension in Teton County, this is Jane Wolery, encouraging you to think about the true gift YOU are to someone this holiday season.  

 



 Disclaimer:  My opinion is a gift.  If you don't like it, it is fully refundable and exchangeable.  I've even been known to exchange it for a new one myself from time to time.   Links provided below are in now way intended to support or fund or endorse.  They are just provided because I thought you might find them useful.  

Resources:

No comments:

Post a Comment