Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Scaling Back for the Holidays?

At Thanksgiving, I blew it.  Through a wellness program at work, I’ve been receiving monthly coaching to meet some health-related goals.  The week of Thanksgiving, I had a call from my coach.  I had met one of my major goals in the six months of the program, so we spent some time discussing that success.  Then, she asked what my goals were during the holidays.  Because I have a bit of a problem with scale in my life, I said, “I will plan only one dessert for Thanksgiving dinner.”  The whole week of Thanksgiving I thought of my goal.  I really planned to scale back (in more ways than one) during the holidays.

On Wednesday, my oldest daughter made an upside-down Pumpkin Patch Pie Cake that has been a favorite from a 4-H demonstration by Kylee and Claire Ruckman years ago.  She was also planning to make whipped cream.  That should have been enough.  It was one 9x13 dessert.  And then, something happened.  A little thought, about the size of a pecan, started forming.  Surely a pecan pie would add to the meal.  Before I knew it, I was making pie at 9:30 p.m.  The only problem was that the pie crust recipe made enough for two pies.  The next problem was that my husband starting talking about what pie crust is best.  He likes the Gerry Smith pie crust we learned to make during a 4-H Clover Class – super flakey.  But, the pie I made used the Baker Bob pie crust, learned during an Extension class.  Of course, my mom got in the mix telling me that the pecan pie recipe she uses is lots easier (which I took to mean better) than the one I use.  Seriously, I am using a pecan pie recipe from my southern relatives and she is using one from the northern relatives.  Which one do you think is better?  The debates had to be settled. By midnight, not only did we have the Pumpkin Patch Pie Cake, but two pecan pies and two pumpkin pies – one type of pie from each crust.  Six people for Thanksgiving Dinner and five desserts.  Uh-oh.  Remember the goal?  One dessert.  As predicted, my problem with scale was soon going to be a problem on the scale!  On the upside, my teenage daughter likes to make pie, so she and I had a pretty enjoyable time in the kitchen that night.

My example notwithstanding, research has shown that people who set clear goals by writing them down or sharing them aloud with others (or both) are much more likely to meet their goals.  Goal setting increases motivation and achievement.  Goal setting can give you clarity. For instance, most of us have all kinds of opportunities for how we spend our time and there are loads of distractions that come our way daily. When we start our day with goals we want to accomplish in mind, we can make better decisions for how we spend our time.  Goals give us a way to filter the other opportunities that come our way. 

As a teacher, I set goals of what I want students to learn by the end of a lesson. Most of the best lessons are intentional and start with the end in mind.  One of the classes I’ve been teaching lately is called, Powerful Tools for Caregivers.  At the end of each class, participants are asked to write an action plan for the week.  The assignment is to do something for themselves that they really enjoy and want to do.  The goals have varied from going on a date night with their spouse to learning a new crochet stitch.  Once the goals have been written, each participant is asked to share their goals aloud.  The next week, at the beginning of class, we report on whether or not we’ve met our goals.  Guess what?  Nearly everyone always reaches their goals.  There is power in writing and sharing goals. 

We know that writing and sharing a financial or savings goal greatly increases the achievement. You can go to www.montanasaves.org to write/share your goal and receive support to reach it.  We know that for health goals, writing and sharing them accelerates the probability that the goals will be reached.  I would bet that writing goals for how to manage your holiday schedule and stresses would even improve the odds of successfully navigating the season in style!

The other good part about goals is that by stating them, you will have a way to evaluate progress.  In my case, if I hadn’t have stated a goal, I might not have even recognized I had gone a little overboard.    


Whether it is health, wealth, or holiday happenings, I encourage you to take a minute to write and share your goals for this week and this month.  After you get a little practice, start writing some long-term life goals.  Pretty soon reaching your goals will seem like a piece of cake … or is that a piece of pie?!



Pumpkin Patch Pie Cake


1 30 oz can pumpkin pie filling
2 eggs
1 5 oz can of evaporated milk

Mix together and pour into ungreased 9x13 pan.

1 yellow cake mix (no pudding)
½ c. butter slightly softened

Mix together with pastry blender or hands to make a crumbly mix.  Sprinkle over pumpkin.  Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees F.  Let cool.  Refrigerate.  Serve upside down and top with whipped cream.

Whipped Cream

Heavy whipping cream
Powdered sugar
Vanilla

Use amounts to suit your needs and taste.  Pour heaving whipping cream into bowl.  Whip on high until it starts to get fluffy.  Add powdered sugar.  (Granulated sugar will work, too, but it seems that it will separate less in storage with the powdered sugar.)  Add vanilla to taste.  Beat until nice and fluffy, but not so long that it becomes sweet butter.

Gerry Smith’s Pie Crust Recipe from 4-H Clover Class


2 c. flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
2/3 c. vegetable oil (scant)
½ c. cold water

Mix dry ingredients in covered plastic container.  Add oil and water.  Put lid on container securely.  Shake 3-4 times and the dough will form a ball.  Roll between waxed paper to size for pie pan. 

*An addition my daughter learned from another 4-H family – add freshly ground nutmeg to dry ingredients if making crust for pumpkin pie.  I can imagine different spices could be added depending on type of pie.  Wonder what a little lemon zest would do for a lemon meringue pie?

Baker Bob’s Pie Crust from an Extension Class on Irish Pasties

½ recipe makes two pie crusts

4 c. flour
2 tsp salt  (I’d reduce by ½ for pie instead of pasties)
1 ½ c. lard (or shortening or butter)
10 tablespoons ice water

Place flour, salt and lard in bowl.  Quickly rub lard into flour with your fingertips until it resembles small peas.  Pour in the ice water and form into a ball.  Add more water if it feels to dry.  It is suggested to wrap in plastic and chill for an hour before rolling. 

Pecan Pie

1 unbaked pie shell

Mix together
3 eggs, beaten well
¾ c. sugar
¾ c. dark corn syrup
1 c. pecan halves
1 Tbsp. melted butter

Pour into pie shell.  Bake at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes, then finish until set at 325 degrees for approximately 30 minutes. 

Southern Pecan Pie

After the great pecan pie debate at my house, I think this recipe produces a smoother pie.

1 c. sugar
1 c. light corn syrup
1/3 c. butter
 4 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. salt
1-1   ½ c. pecan halves
1 unbaked pie shell

Combine first 3 ingredients in medium saucepan.  Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and butter melts; cool slightly.  (Has to be cool enough not to cook the eggs – you can temper the mixture)  Add eggs, vanilla and salt; stir well.  Pour filling into pie shell; top with pecan halves.  Bake at 325 degrees F for 50-55 minutes.  


Resources:








No comments:

Post a Comment