Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Clutter Clearing

Last year, as a committee chair for a professional organization in Montana, I was asked to provide a series of educational articles on reducing clutter.  My colleagues felt they could increase their focus and productivity by reducing clutter.  Originally, I thought it would be a pretty easy assignment.  I love to organize and clear clutter, or so I thought.  However, I generally think that to inspire others you have to walk your talk, or at least try.  So for a year, I have been acutely aware of my own clutter.  This awareness was aided by constant messages in my email inbox regarding clutter.  I used an online “clipping service” to search the web and feed me any new information on clutter, cleaning and organizing. 
                Twelve months ago, I started with the good intention of writing a series of four articles for the professional organization and also sharing them with you.  You’ve heard, “It’s the thought that counts”?  I’ve only shared one article with you.  In February, I told about how I realized that I was a data hoarder, saving all my work related emails since this century started, every digital photo I’ve ever taken, and every letter I’ve written.  I don’t seem to hoard outside my computer, but give me a hard-drive and look out!
                Since taking on the clutter assignment, it seems the world has conspired to not only help me see my own clutter, but to give me an opportunity to clear my clutter -- from my computer crashing (new incentive to hit the delete key more frequently) to a mouse invasion at my office (complete inspiration to toss any number of nested and nasty items) and a few other incentives in between.  If you are also in need of inspiration to do some clutter-busting this year, but don’t really want to wait around for rodents, floods or fires to get you moving, I’ll offer a few tips.  Set aside one hour, one day per month.  Put the date on your calendar, as an appointment with yourself.  Set the timer.  It will be amazing what you can get done in a short amount of time.  Pick one location in your home, shop, garage or office and give a concentrated 60 minutes to the task.  Set up boxes with labels such as shred, recycle, thrift store or garbage.  When the time is up take the items and immediately shred, recycle, donate or trash.  As you clear, be realistic.  Have you (or has anyone else) used it lately?  Do you have plans to use it in the next year?  If it is broken, is it fixable?  If it is fixable, will you actually fix it and put it into use?  If so, why haven’t you done it yet? 
                You could also use a different approach by setting a number of items goal – five things, five days a week for five months.  That would clear 125 items out of your life.  More if you live with others and convince them to play along. Make a commitment not to purchase more clutter or use the rule, “An item in, an item out.” If you buy less, you can save more and you can spend less of your life on “stuff management” and more of your life living. I hope clearing the clutter will also clear some stress in your life. 


Resources to Inspire:

                Disclaimer:  The ideas expressed in the articles below (on their websites, in the advertising) are not necessarily endorsed by MSU Extension.  They are offered for your consideration only.

1.         http://www2.canada.com/theprovince/news/liveit/story.html?id=a2e8e9d4-a607-4936-9e69-d44043a48c94
The Province
Work-at-home mother Trish feels she's been left alone to deal with the clutter clogging up their home with her husband away at work as well as off on hunting trips and excursions. But Trish has tangible items of her own from her past she's reticent to ...

Points to Consider:
"We hold onto these things as talismans for what we were, what we should have been, what we still want to be, whatever that is.
"Letting go of them ... I think it's freeing because we can say: 'Who am I now and who do I want to be? And let me surround myself with those kinds of optics."
There should still be limits on what to safeguard and what to discard.


Points to Consider:
Start small and make a schedule, room-by-room to declutter.

Types of clutter:  Aspirational – Things you want to use, but don’t.  Out-of-Place – Things that just need put away.  Sentimental – Things to which you have attached emotional value.  Bargain – Things that were obtained for discount or free.



Points to Consider:
Set aside a few minutes each day and get rid of seven things each day for a month. 
4.        Clutter tip of the week: Being organized is not about tidiness
OregonLive.com
Professional organizer Patty McPherson, owner of Orderly Manor, in Plymouth, Mass., writes that "The level of tolerable clutter varies from person to person. It's something I have to learn about my clients so don't try to make my standards their ...

Points to Consider:

Disorganization is a source of stress.  Clutter adds to stress.  

No comments:

Post a Comment