Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Clutter Busting and Data Hoarding

This year, in an attempt to clear my own clutter, so that I could feel free to give clutter-clearing advice to others, I have been able to delete six gigabytes of data out of my work email folders.  And then, because my clutter-clearing ways are catchy, we decided to reorganize some use of main office space.  At the courthouse, we have the use of three offices.  The main office is a small space, shared by two people.  In order to accommodate some shifting of items that weren’t yet purge-worthy from the main office into my office, I had to find a bit of space.

I looked to the most logical spot – the file cabinet.  File cabinets are great, as long as the only things in them are items you really need to keep or use.  I, however, had two file drawers full of discs.  Not only did I have CD back-ups of my work computer from, well, probably the time that CDs were invented, but I also had two (very neatly labeled, I might add) boxes of discs – you know, the 3 ½ inch floppy kind.  The boxed were accompanied by a three-ring binder with numerically coded print-outs of the contents of each disc.  Being an organized hoarder, doesn’t make you any less of a hoarder.

What I realized, as I finally let go of all that data and information on the 150 floppies and 89 CDs and DVDs, was that it was time to let go of the past and to let go of a point in time that would never be again.  My daughters had a blast using a hammer to destroy whatever data resided on that medium.  They had never seen the 3 ½-inch floppy disc before and about 37 discs into the destruction, my oldest says, “Hey, you know what these look like?  The little ‘save’ icon on the computer!”  Yes, there is a whole generation that doesn’t know that the save icon was designed to look like a disc.  But, speaking of ‘save’ icons, we need to get back to deciding which icons in our world are worth saving.




One helpful resource categorized clutter into four main areas – aspirational clutter (things you want to use, but don’t), out-of-place clutter (things you need to put away), sentimental clutter (things to which you’ve attached emotional value), and bargain clutter (things that were obtained for low cost or free).  It is funny, but just knowing how to assign my clutter has really helped in getting a grip on it.  Or letting the grip go, as the case may be. 

My box of discs contained aspirational clutter.  Somewhere on one of those floppies was the first chapter of a book I intended to write.  There was also sentimental clutter.  There were files from my first years as a professional.  Somehow it was easier for me to get rid of those items, once they were assigned categories.  Am I really going to write a book?  Would it be the same topic or the same thoughts as when I was 20-something? Will I forget my days as a young teacher and school counselor if I toss the discs from those years?  The answer, to all the questions, is – probably not.  If you hold too tightly to the past, you might not be able to get a good grip on the present. 



Clutter Resources:
Disclaimer: The comments contained in any of the resources below are that of the originator.  Our providing them for you in no way is an endorsement of anything in particular at all.  Use your skills to determine their value to you at this place and time in your life.

De-clutter your office desk
Wonder Woman
The ambience of your workplace affects your brain, thoughts and your actions. "Physical and emotional clutter creates mental disorganization which reduces productivity and creativity," says Dr Bhavana Barami, clinical psychologist and corporate trainer ...


The Clutter & Stress Connection
Care2.com
Time: Many people feel that clutter is a drain on our energy, but it also drains us of our precious time. Think of the time you spend looking for your glasses, keys, wallet, shoes, tools, etc. Even when you might be looking right at the item, sometimes ...


Simple ways to clear your mental clutter - She Knows
Tired of being so stressed out? May is Mental Health Month and we've got helpful ways to clear the mental clutter and ease your mind.

Workplace Clutter
Pharmacy Times
The average employee wastes 2 to 4 hours each week looking for things they need to do their work—manuals that aren't on the shelf where they expect them to be, documents that are piled in “horizontal files,” and supplies that have been misplaced.


Clutter – Katie Couric
Katie's Big De-Clutter Transformation Revealed! ... Expert Organizer's Tips for De -Cluttering Every Room in Your Home ... How to De-Clutter Your Digital Mess ...
www.katiecouric.com/tag/clutter/

No comments:

Post a Comment