Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Eleven Months Left for New Year's Resolution!

During January, I’ve covered the topics of identity theft, security freeze, credit reports and credit scores.  You may have set your own New Year’s resolutions, but I’ll bet you have figured out that I think taking care of your personal identity and credit record should be one of them.  I encourage you to set aside some time this week, even just 30 minutes to assess your personal situation.  The following week, set aside 30 more minutes to address any issues that were revealed in your assessment.  By setting an appointment with yourself, you are much more likely to get the business handled.  Also, according to some time management classes I’ve taken lately, setting a timer can eliminate the drudgery of a task.  The suggestion from the class was to set a timer for 25 minutes and then take a 5 minute break.  For me, it always seems like I spend more time dreading a task than actually doing it.  The same may be true for you. 

While you are assessing your credit and data security information, you may want to take an identity theft risk assessment test . The risk assessment is broken into sections: checking for evidence of identity theft, destroying sensitive personal information, and limiting access to sensitive personal information.  There are great questions that point you to important behaviors, like checking your credit card statements against your receipts, so that you are able to tell if there are unauthorized charges.  When I looked at the risk assessment web
site, it reminded me that I had a charge on my credit card that I wanted to investigate.  It is surprising how many good practices you can learn from a simple quiz. 

The section on limiting access to sensitive personal information is especially important.  Be sure not to give out your personal information on an unsolicited phone call or allow someone to access your computer remotely.  There are plenty of frauds out there.  If it seems suspicious, it probably is.  If a caller presses you for information, hang up.  If it is a legitimate call, they will follow up using other methods.  You may also want to opt out of prescreened credit offers, phone calls and junk mail.  You can do so by going to the opt-out portion of the Federal Trade Commission’s website.

Another place to be cautious is at the check-out stand.  Do not leave your credit card sitting out where others could see the numbers.  With today’s pervasive technology, someone near you in line could take a photo of your card without your knowing.  I try to keep my card covered while in the cashier’s line right up until the card is swiped. 

If improving your personal information security is one of your goals this year, I encourage you to set aside 30 minutes this week toward that endeavor. 

Opt Out of Unsolicited Mail, Calls, Email

No comments:

Post a Comment