Saturday, February 8, 2014

If You Have Cleared Too Much Clutter, You Can Buy It Back at a Thrift Store


Okay, maybe I’ve gone too far with this clutter-clearing thing.  Today, I am trying to find an old projector screen.  Our office bought a new screen that we’ve been using and we had been loaning out the other one, but now we cannot find it.  I checked the courthouse annex, the courtroom and the Extension Office.  I checked the “check-out” lists.  I still cannot find it.  Someone wants to use it, so, I thought, as a back-up plan they could use my personal screen – a smaller one purchased for $3 at a thrift store years ago.  I got into the newly cleaned closet in my office and guess what?  The smaller projector screen that has been in the same place in the closet for a decade isn’t there.  I have no idea where it is, but I did notice one last week at a local thrift store.  Do you suppose?  Maybe it’s the same one.  Maybe I did too good of a job purging.  But, I remember, reading something on clutter that said not to worry if you get rid of something and then find out you want it, as you can generally find it again at a thrift store or garage sale!  It turns out that is even true of projector screens!

Below is the last installment of tips for clearing clutter.  If you’d like to clutter my inbox, I’d love to hear if you have made any progress using the information I’ve shared on clutter-busting and whether or not it reduced your stress and/or increased your efficiency. 

Clutter Resources:
Below are a few more resources, random statements from reading and websites.
Disclaimer:  Take what tips you can use and throw the rest away.  The offering of these resources is in no way an endorsement of any product, religion, political party or anything to which you might object. 

Note from an article:  The philosophy at play here is that clutter is often the physical manifestation of emotional baggage.


OHIO-Only handle it once. Don't throw that coat on the chair- take those few extra steps and hang it up. You waste time and energy by handling things over and over again.  (My kids wish I’d never heard about OHIO, as I remind them of this philosophy often.  ‘Course the other day, my youngest walked into the kitchen, saw the pile I left on the table and yelled, “Mom, get in here.  OHIO.”  So, I had to clean up my out-of-place clutter. 


Productivity Tips: 11 Ways to De-Clutter Your Day | Inc.com
Do less and achieve more--starting today. Adopt some of these easy habits to make it happen.
www.inc.com/.../11-ways-to-streamline-and-optimize-your-wo...


WTNH
Diane Lang, author of Creating Balance and Finding Happiness, was in the studio to discuss was of de-cluttering our lives. When we have too much clutter in our lives we become stressed out, overwhelmed and stagnate. When people talk about clutter they ...



3 Ways to De-Clutter Your Life and Live Passionately
Huffington Post (blog)
The culprit is clutter -- the unnecessary junk we fill our lives with that keeps us busy but not productive, moving but not motivated, always doing but never satisfied. Meeting others' expectations, emotional baggage, crammed schedules, and unending ...

Book Suggestion: The Side Tracked Home Executives, AKA the Slob Sisters
http://www.shesintouch.com/  I read their books, watched a video and got to see them in person at a 4-H event years ago.  Great writing, great tips. 


Organize + Energize: 7 Tips On Clearing Mental Clutter
GoLocal Worcester
Mental clutter can be just as, if not more, troublesome than physical clutter. Follow these tips to reduce stress and feel more at ease. Mental clutter, how it depletes your energy and productivity. Mental clutter causes distraction, anxiety, and ...
See all stories on this topic »


Clutter is what takes place when life goes on and we aren’t intentional about our stuff.


How Clutter Affects Your Brain (And What You Can Do About It ...
By Mikael Cho
A few years ago, I worked at a web design agency as a product manager. The part of the job I loved the most was working on product with our design tea...
Lifehacker Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment