Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Give Yourself a Hand

Last year, due to an uncoordinated move in a corral, I hurt my right hand.  I’m right-handed, so I was concerned that the little bone chip was going to cause me ongoing pain.  Then I met Krista Keiper, an occupational therapist, who works at Teton Medical Center and other facilities throughout the Golden Triangle area.  Through therapy and exercises, Krista and I were able to make remarkable improvement to the injured area.  Because of my experience, I got a little shot of empathy for those experiencing pain as they try to use their hands.

Some of us have very specific hobbies that bring enjoyment to our lives, but that rely heavily on hand function and dexterity.  I think of those who quilt, knit, crochet, embroider, bead, tie flies, and play musical instruments.  So many of the tasks hobbyists perform require small postures and hand movements. Hand movements do not happen in isolation.  Hand function is connected to shoulder function, and many of these movements are repetitive, which can add to our hand habits.  It would make sense to give your hands, and all the other parts they connect to, a hand by learning about exercises and therapies you can perform yourself.

When Krista Keiper, OTR/L, offered to share from her 36 years of professional experience, I was not going to be a fool and miss the opportunity.  On April 1, Keiper will discuss hand care and functioning, from 10-11 a.m. at the Alice Gleason Room of the Choteau Public Library.  The class will be held in conjunction with Teton Quilting Friends and MSU Teton County Extension.  The class is free of charge and open to the public, but a registration is requested by contacting the Extension Office. 

Don’t miss this April Fools’ Day event.  You’d be a fool to underestimate how important hand care is.  


To register for class, email me at jwolery@montana.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment